Facebook Code

Monday 17 November 2014

Life Cycles Onward

Why are babies so special to us? They are certainly cute with the tiniest of hands and feet and their beautiful and unconditionally loving gaze. But on some level I think we also glimpse the true miracle of human existence. How can a sperm and egg join and in a very short time unite into such a remarkable creature––10 trillion cells working together in ways we may never truly understand? babies bring many gifts, perhaps the greatest of all allowing us to feel and deeply experience the miracle of new life.

This past week a young friend birthed her second child with all the natural grace and confidence of one could hope for. I am flooded with memories of her spending many days as part of our family: 


(Excerpt from my book: The First Five Years)
When my son was very young, I began to trade caregiving with a dear friend who had a child of similar age. It gave me one afternoon a week to work on “other-than-motherhood” things. As he grew, a second friend’s child was added, and later a third. The end result was that, one day a week, I would have three children visit my home and we would share books, do artwork, bake, create puppet plays, walk in the woods, build forts or construction sites with toy trucks in the garden, and have lots of fun. By the time he was four, my son would spend three days a week, 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., with these other families joyfully sharing their daily routines and playtimes and adventures. These children became the large family I was unable to have, and provided very close and lasting friendships for my son. 

Birth is not just a moment in time. It is the result of many moments: in the life of the parents; grandparents and others lining up, one after another in order to arrive at the moment of birth. Seeing my young friend passing her love along to her beautiful child(ten) once again clarifies: this is why we are here: to recognize and support the miracle which arrives each time a child is born.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about birth.


Copyright © Nancy Tracey 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment