Facebook Code

Thursday 4 December 2014

Heal Your World: Visit a young child

Want to heal the world, even if for a few moments? Visit a young child.
A few weeks ago I was invited to visit a two year old for tea. She was standing looking out the window when I arrived––too shy to wave. Hesitation became curiosity, then confidence and soon she was sharing her toys and showing me her beautiful collection of little felted balls. I love them––so wonderful to toss and roll and catch (or try to!). But my favourite part was when she showed me her collection of treasures on the window ledge: a rose quartz, more rocks and a moon shell. The moon shell stole our hearts: its song of the sea, smell of salt, beautiful spiraling colours. While she was showing me how to lift it to my ear so I could hear the ocean rolling in on the nearby beach I spun back into the days I was brought to this local beach as a child to collect tiny baby shells and smooth rocks. . . Dropping the shell brought more treasures, sand spilling on the floor lighting up her eyes. She played with the sand, sharing it with me, placing it back in the shell pouring it onto the floor, gathering it up with her tiny perfect fingers. . . .
I drove home full to the brim with the experience of childhood––hers, mine, every childhood. What actually happened here--why was it so magical? The Big Answer is that a lot more occurred during that short afternoon. We learned not only what it was to be mindful of a shell and other treasures, we shared experience, astonishment, our senses ignited. We also experienced a safe and nurturing relationship for both. Want to heal the world, even if for a few moments? Visit a child with your heart open--they will do the rest!!

Copyright © Nancy Tracey 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment