Facebook Code

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Gifts from the West Dublin Market

Saturday morning at the West Dublin Market ("The Dub in the Hub") is always an adventure! Last week my husband, Gregg, set up a display of his artwork: his monarch guitar––inspired by the monarchs we love to see flitting over the milkweed, his wooden jewelry, his woodcut prints and paintings.

It was fun to watch the crowd. At one point two children entered with their parents. One was holding a doll very much like one I had many years ago. It was fascinating to feel myself drift back into memories of that favourite doll and how she cuddled and soothed me. At one point in the morning I noticed the doll's mamma was coming toward me as if she wanted to chat. When she heard I had had a similar doll when I was her age, she shared that this doll had been her mother's, was now hers, and then she did the most heart-warming thing: she offered the baby to me. Her five-year-old heart drew my five-year–old heart out to play! The conversation which followed was delightful and soon included her younger sister who also had lots to share.

Four days later I can still bask in the generosity and the beautiful childhood memories her kindness evoked. My heart sings when a child allows me into her life in such a way––an honour of all honours. On a deeper level it also allows me to feel good about the future, knowing two more precious little children who are kind, generous and filled with the joy of life.

Copyright © Nancy Tracey 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment