Facebook Code

Monday 24 March 2014

Social Artistry from the Heart of a Child

Looking at life around me through the lens of a social artist adds a very special quality to any human interaction. But when it is with a young child, in the brain creation stage of life, it can be exhilarating!
I recently was giving a talk on social artistry to young people in their early 20's. I love sharing things I wish I had known when I was much younger.

The talk went well with great discussion afterward. I was alone and packing up, pleased at the quality of conversation generated, when the yurt door I was presenting in opened. A young child scooted in and began to run around in the open circle. I think he must have expressed interest in the structure and his aware mom opened the door and let him explore. We were alone. He proceeded to show me his latest trick which was a special way of jumping he had figured out. It was impressive--bold movements demonstrating lots of dexterity and balance. But even more impressive was the deep joy he expressed on each lift-off. My heart sang at the sharing.

His name was Oliver, he told me, but I didn't get far when I asked his age. "I don't remember that kind of thing!" he announced. He continued to chat and demonstrate his newly discovered movement. When he began to tire I moved toward the door. "I don't want you to go" he said. I realized I didn't want to go either. We chatted a bit longer and then moved outside to meet his mom.

What a wonderful curtain call for the social artistry presentation––a young child wanting to share his joy and enthusiasm of life with me and letting me know undeniably that he was really enjoying our interaction. The fact I am reliving it today with as much joy as the original experience and will likely call it up numerous times during my life, reminds me of the longterm gifts we give when we see life as a creative act.

His gift was an act of social artistry in its purest state. How appropriate and how honouring.
Copyright © Nancy Tracey 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment